Topic Progress:

(3.62) The 12 Articles of the Profession of Faith (Articles 4 to 6)

Article 4: suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried;

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried,

For our sake

“For our sake” – is the reason that Jesus came down for us and for our salvation. Similar words are found in different forms in the New Testament but the idea is clearly laid out in Lk 22:19-20 when Jesus said;

“This is my body, which is given for you…and “This cup that is poured our for you is the new covenant in my blood.”

Further proof on the reason why God became man was written by St Paul to the Cor 15:3;

“For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures,”

Article 5: He descended into hell. The third day he arose again from the dead.

He suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.

The story of Jesus and for us who believes in Christ does not stop on death for he has been resurrected. As revealed by St Paul to the Cor 15:4;

”and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures”.

Jesus Christ rising up on the third day had been foretold three times (see Mk 8:31, 9:31,10:34). According to the Gospels, he was crucified on the day before Sabbath which was a Friday and his tomb was found empty on the third day which fell on a Sunday as “first day of the week” (Mt 28:1; Mk 16:2; Lk 24:1 and Jn 20:1).

Article 6: He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. 

He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

The prayer is in reference to what was said by Jesus himself to Mary after his resurrection,

“I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God” (Jn 20:17).

Christ’s position at the right hand of the Father suggests closeness and high position of authority in relation to God, the Father. Which was recorded through Saint Paul’s letter to the Col 3:1,

“If then you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God”.