Topic Progress:

(3.63) The 12 Articles of the Profession of Faith (Articles 7 to 9)

Article 7: He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.

Remember that Jesus Christ once said,

“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (Jn 14:6).

It is through this passage that we first become aware of Christ role in heaven and earth.

St Peter also spoke to the Gentiles about the Good news;

“He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one ordained by God as judge of the living and the dead. All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name” (Acts 10:42-43).

St Paul also reminded us of the same message on his Letter to the Rom 2:16,

“God will judge people’s hidden works through Jesus Christ.”

Article 8: I believe in the Holy Spirit, 

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. 

The Old Testament is filled with the work of the spirit such as during the time of prophet Moses and the elders;

“Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke to him, and took some of the spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders; and when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did not do so again” (Num 11: 25).

The Spirit was further revealed in the New Testament when it brought about the mystery of conception of the Virgin Mary. The fullness of the Holy Spirit  and God the Father was also seen on the Baptism of Christ  as recorded in Mk 1:10-11,

“And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”

Jesus further emphasized the role of the Holy Spirit in baptism as he said:“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” (Mt 28:19).

The Holy Spirit was seen in glory on Acts 2:2-4,

“And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability.”

Article 9: the holy Catholic Church, the Communion of Saints,

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.

Catholic

The term Catholic comes from the Greek word katholikos which means universal. It was first used by Saint Ignatius of Antioch in his letter to the Smyrnaeans. For being universal of the faith means being open and welcoming to every people of regardless of race, profession, economic strata or even of different belief.

The word Catholic is not mentioned in the bible but is what we understand of who Christ is: welcoming of both children or adults, sinners or saints, rich or poor – for Christ is offered for everyone.

The Church

Jesus and the Apostles’ work can be now seen in the Church as Christ have promised,

“And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it” (Mt 16:18).

The Communion of Saints

The Communion of Saints is specifically mentioned to commemorate the faithful who already experienced glory with the father and in recognition of what they have achieved for God and for us.

Apostolic

Christ came down from heaven, sacrificed his life, resurrected and he left us an apostolic mandate, “Go into all the world and proclaim the good news to the whole creation” (Mk 16:15).